Arivederci TurboGears – Django-Powered Tx 0.5 is Out
Transifex 0.5 is now out marking an important milestone for us and the end of what started as a 2-week sprint but ended up as a long 1-month endurance race since our private beta.
Admittedly it took us a bit longer than we hoped for but these things happen when you decide to add features not originally planned for a release. Specifically, we were looking to add just file submissions since our private beta but we ended up with a whooping 29 tickets resolved after all, which is more than double the issues resolved in the 0.3x releases.
To make our lives more difficult and things a little more interesting we raised the bar from a reliability/stability perspective: Transifex 0.5 had to be solid not only by our standards but also live up to the high expectations of the Fedora Translation Community, so that it can be used for the upcoming Leonidas release.
So, what else is new with 0.5?
- Integration with the Fedora Accounting System
- A port over of the Turbogears Submission functions
- Basic workflow support
- RPM support
- Lots of fixes with almost 150 commits since our private beta
- Lots of minor finishing touches that should make things a little more pleasant to the eye
- General availability. We still consider it to be of beta quality, due to the huge amount of work ahead of us, but by the upcoming weekend you’ll be free to have a test drive and let us know how you feel
Also note that this release pretty much spells the end of the Turbogears branch. You can still check it out if you like it better than our mainline. From what we know deployments have already switched to the 0.5 branch, which can now claim feature parity, so ‘till we hear a good argument to the contrary we pull the plug on it and keep it that way. Focusing on the loads of work cut out for now.